ASB Clubs Seniors
Athletics Baseball Basketball Cheer Cross Country Field Hockey Football Golf Soccer Softball Swimming and Diving Tennis Track & Field Volleyball Water Polo Wrestling
Counseling Counselors Schedule Change Requests RBV Course Catalog FAQs 9th Grade 10th Grade 11th Grade 12th Grade Parents A-G Requirements (CSU/UC) California Colleges College Planning College & Career Center Community College Counseling Newsletters Financial Aid Grades/Parent Portal Grade & Credit Recovery Options Grad Requirements/Credits Naviance NCAA Palomar College Promise PLUS-Peer Leaders Uniting Students Peer Counselors SAT/ACT/PSAT Scholarships Social Emotional Resources Transcripts Tutoring WAVE-PACT Guaranteed Admission Agreement with CSUSM
Administration AVID Career Technical Education Drama (ELD) English Language Development English Freshman Seminar Honors - IB - AP Mathematics Physical Education Science Social Studies Special Education Visual & Performing Arts World Languages
RBV Library Library and Textbook Policies Library Staff
Information for Parents Attendance Campus Tours Child Nutrition Services Community Resources Data Processing Finance Health Office Registrar/Transcripts Security & Safety Registration PASS
Staff Resources Staff Directory - A-Z

When do I need a work permit?

All students under the age of 18 need a work permit.  Employers must retain a "Permit to Employ and Work" for each employed minor under the age of 18.  When a student is offered a job, the employer will ask the student to acquire a work permit at the school the student attends.  If a student changes employers, a new work permit needs to be requested.  The student may be issued more than one work permit if he/she works concurrently for more than one employer, provided that the total number of hours worked does not exceed the total number of hours allowed by law and the district.

Where do I get a work permit?

Work permit applications can be picked up at the Career Center.  The application will need to be completed by the student, parent, and the employer before returning it to the Career Center.  The application is then processed and submitted for approval by an administrator.  If approved, a work permit is generated for the student.  Generally, the actual work permit will be ready for the student to pick up in the Career Center within a 24-hour period of dropping off the application.  The student needs to give the work permit to the employer to keep on the job site.    

Work Permits

What does the school require to keep a work permit?

Eligibility for a work permit is a 2.0 GPA and satisfactory school attendance.  No exceptions will be made.  If a student's GPA falls below a Total Unweighted GPA of 2.0 during the previous six-week grading period, the student's employer will be notified and the work permit will be removed.  Once a progress report indicates a 2.0 GPA or above, the work permit can be reinstated.  

Do work permits expire?

Work permits issued during the school year shall expire five days after the opening of the next succeeding school year.  Before the work permit expires, a student may apply for a renewed work permit in accordance with the procedures specified in "School Requirements". 

Can a student receive a work permit during holidays and summer vacations?

If the school site is closed during a holiday break or summer vacation,  a work permit can be granted through the Vista Unified School District Office located at 1234 Arcadia Avenue in Vista.  The student may be able to pick up the work permit application at the school site, but the completed application needs to get approval and work permit issuance at the district office.  Call the district office at 760-726-2170 to receive hours of operation during holiday breaks and summer vacations.  

Are there conditions when a work permit is not required?

A student shall not be required to obtain a work permit if he/she is self-employed; is working at odd jobs, such as yard work and babysitting in private homes where student is not regularly employed; is a self-employed news carrier delivering newspapers to consumers on a regular route; is employed by student's parent/guardian in domestic labor on or in connection with premises the parent/guardian owns, operates, or controls; or is otherwise exempted by law.  


Are there work environments that will not qualify for a work permit?

Minors under the age of 18 may not work in environments declared hazardous or dangerous for young workers.  Examples listed are:

  1. Explosives exposure
  2. Motor vehicle driving/outside helper
  3. Roofing
  4. Logging or sawmilling
  5. Power-driven woodworking machines
  6. Radiation exposure
  7. Power-driven hoists/forklifts
  8. Power-driven metal forming, punching, and shearing machines
  9. Power-saws and shears
  10. Power-driving meat slicing/processing machines

What hours can a student work?

Ages 16 & 17:  When school is in session, 4 hours per day on any school day; 8 hours on any non-school day or on any day preceding a non-school day.  Total of 48 hours per week.  When school is not in session, 8 hours per day and a total of 48 hours per week. The hours can be spread between 5 am - 10 pm and until 12:30 am on any evening preceding a non-school day.

Ages 14 & 15:  When school is in session, 3 hours per school day outside of school hours; 8 hours on any non-school day.  No more than 18 hours per week.  When school is not in session, 8 hours per day and a total of 40 hours per week.  The hours can be spread between 7 am - 7 pm, except from June 1 - Labor Day, until 9 pm.