IBO’S MISSION STATEMENT & IDEALS OF IB’S MISSION:
The International Baccalaureate aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable, and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect. To this end the organization works with schools, governments, and international organizations to develop challenging programmes of international education and rigorous assessment. These programmes encourage students across the world to become active, compassionate, and lifelong learners who understand that other people, with their differences, can also be right.
IDEALS OF IB'S MISSION
- Challenging programs
- Rigorous assessments
- Inquiry, knowledge, caring young people
- Peaceful world through intercultural understanding
- International education
- Active, compassionate, lifelong learners
- Understanding that other people, with their differences, can also be right.
Virtually all colleges and universities will award advanced standing or college credit to students with qualifying IB exam results. In most cases, IB and AP courses are both rewarded in the same ways. To find out how different universities recognize the IB Diploma and IB Certificates, please go to www.ibo.org and click on What we offer on their home page, Diploma Programme, and then on University Recognition.
Offering both Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate is definitely one of our greatest strengths at Rancho. While most large comprehensive high schools offer AP courses and exams, it is not as common to find an IB World School.
- 39 of the top 100 schools in America are IB World Schools New York, NY, IBO, 4 May 2006 –
The International Baccalaureate Organization, a non-profit educational organization with 624 IB World Schools in the United States, announces the publication of the latest list of " America's Best High Schools," based on the Challenge Index, in the current issue of Newsweek. IB World Schools are featured prominently on the list. According to the index, six out of the top 10 schools are IB World Schools:
- Jefferson County, Irondale, AL (Index 9.914)
- City Honors, Buffalo, NY (Index 8.140)
- Stanton College Prep, Jacksonville, FL (Index 7.973)
- Eastside High School, Gainesville, FL (Index 7.535)
- Suncoast Community, Riviera Beach, FL (Index 7.532)
- International Academy, Bloomfield Hills, MI (Index 6.127)
In addition to holding six spots out of the top 10, IB World Schools represent 39 of the top 100 public high schools in the United States.
In 1998, education writer Jay Mathews of the Washington Post devised the index, which ranks public schools in the USA by taking the number of IB and AP exams offered at a school, divides them by the number of graduating seniors, and creates a ratio. (A school offering 500 IB exams in May 2004 with 250 graduating seniors has a ratio of 2.0.)